Pedro Barusco will defend his PhD Thesis on 11 February 2022 at 11:30 am at ICMAB
The PhD researcher Pedro Barusco, from the Superconducting Materials and Large Scale Nanostructures (SUMAN) Group at ICMAB-CSIC, will defend his PhD thesis on Friday 11 February 2022 at 11:30 am in a hybrid session.
Development of High Temperature Superconductors Coated Conductors for Resistive Fault Current Limiters with the Current Flow Diverter Architecture
By Pedro Barusco, from the Superconducting Materials and Large Scale Nanostructures (SUMAN) Group at ICMAB-CSIC
Date: Friday 11 February 2022
Time: 11:30 am
Venue: MATGAS Sala d’Actes and online session by Zoom. Register here to attend by Zoom.
Abstract: The Current Flow Diverter (CFD) is a promising concept for the 2nd Generation (2G) of Superconducting wires that has proven to increase the wire’s robustness against the inevitable hot-spot regime. However, since 2014 there has been a struggle in finding a practical manufacturing method for the CFD that is compatible with the coating steps of reel-to-reel systems used by companies worldwide. Using chemical solution deposition (CSD) and chemical vapor deposition (CVD) methods, four materials, i.e epoxy, graphite, yttria and silver sulfide, led to four different manufacturing routes that helped identify the main practical constrains of the CFD fabrication and, for the first time, two viable CFD fabrication routes were found with yttria nanolayers and silver sulfidation reactions.
- Xavier Obradors i Berenguer, Superconducting Materials and Large Scale Nanostructures (SUMAN) Group, ICMAB-CSIC
- Xavier Granados Garcia, Superconducting Materials and Large Scale Nanostructures (SUMAN) Group, ICMAB-CSIC
- President: Pascal Tixador, Grenoble Institute of Technology | Grenoble INP · Department of Electrical Power Engineering (IEE), France
- Secretary: Joffre Gutierrez, Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC), Spain
- Vocal: Luis García-Tabarés Rodrígue, Centro de Investigaciones Energéticas, Medioambientales y Tecnológicas (CIEMAT), Spain
University: Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
PhD Programme: Materials Science Programme